Welcome to CUB's Help Center
CUB created this help center to keep you informed of the consumer group’s information campaigns and other breaking news that matters to your bottom line.
Beware of Bad Alternative Supplier Deals
- Read CUB’s Consumer Alert on green plans, issued Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018.
- Sign a petition for stronger consumer protections in the electric and gas markets. (Sign our petition, and we’ll send you a free Consumer Protection Kit.)
- The utilities’ “prices to compare”—the rates customers should compare with alternative supplier offers.
ComEd: 7.358 cents/kWh
Ameren: 4.658 cents/kWh
Prices as of Oct. 1:
ComEd: 7.941 cents/kWh
Ameren (estimated): 5.125 per kWh for the first 800 kWh of usage, 4.412 cents per kWh for usage after that.
- If you shop in the electric and gas markets, follow these tips:
1) Be careful about people at your door who say they’re from the “electric company” or “gas company” and offer to lower your bill. Don’t give out your account number or your bill unless you’re sure you want to sign up for an offer. A dishonest sales rep can use your account number to sign you up for an alternative supplier without permission.
2) Find out what the company is charging and how that compares with the utility’s price. Ask whether the supplier rate is a fixed rate, and for how long, or a variable rate that changes monthly.
3) Ask if the rate is an introductory or promotional rate, how long it lasts, and what the new rate will be once it ends. People complain to CUB that the low price they signed up for disappeared after a few months and their bill skyrocketed.
4) Ask if the plan charges a monthly fee, which will inflate the per-kWh rate. Currently, the highest monthly fee is $9.99 (Santanna Energy Services).
5) Ask if the company charges an exit fee if you want to leave a plan before the contract is up. Exit fees are capped at $50, and you can avoid getting slapped with one if you cancel a contract within 10 days of the supplier’s charges first appearing on the bill.
- Other helpful information: