Welcome to CUB's Help Center
CUB created this help center to keep you informed of the consumer group’s information campaigns and other breaking news that matters to your bottom line.
Beware of Bad Alternative Supplier Deals
*New Utility Supply Prices as of June 1:
ComEd: 7.358 cents/kWh
Ameren: 4.658 cents/kWh
Note: These are the “prices to compare”—the rates customers compare to alternative supplier offers.
*If you shop in the electric and gas markets, follow these tips:
1) Be careful about people at your door who say they’re from the “electric company” or “gas company” and offer to lower your bill. Don’t give out your account number or your bill unless you’re sure you want to sign up for an offer. A dishonest sales rep can use your account number to sign you up for an alternative supplier without permission.
2) Find out what the company is charging and how that compares with the utility’s price. Ask whether the supplier rate is a fixed rate, and for how long, or a variable rate that changes monthly.
3) Ask if the rate is an introductory or promotional rate, how long it lasts, and what the new rate will be once it ends. People complain to CUB that the low price they signed up for disappeared after a few months and their bill skyrocketed.
4) Ask if the plan charges a monthly fee, which will inflate the per-kWh rate. Currently, the highest monthly fee is $9.99 (Santanna Energy Services).
5) Ask if the company charges an exit fee if you want to leave a plan before the contract is up. Exit fees are capped at $50, and you can avoid getting slapped with one if you cancel a contract within 10 days of the supplier’s charges first appearing on the bill.
*Send a message! Join CUB’s fight to protect electric customers in Springfield!
*Get this helpful guide emailed to you:
CUB’s Guide to Avoiding Gas Rip-offs
*Choose energy efficiency. The cheapest energy is the energy you don’t use. Visit our Energy Efficiency page to learn about the best ways to cut your utility bills.