Welcome to CUB's Help Center
CUB created this help center to keep you informed of the consumer group’s information campaigns and other breaking news that matters to your bottom line.
Beware of Bad Deals
Read CUB’s latest article: 5 Questions You Should Ask About Your Electric and Gas Bills.
If you shop in the electric and gas markets, follow these tips:
1) Be careful about people at your door who say they’re from the “electric company” or “gas company” and offer to lower your bill. Don’t give out your account number or your bill unless you’re sure you want to sign up for an offer. A dishonest sales rep can use your account number to sign you up for an alternative supplier without permission.
2) Find out what the company is charging and how that compares with the utility’s price. Ask whether the supplier rate is a fixed rate, and for how long, or a variable rate that changes monthly.
3) Ask if the rate is an introductory rate, how long it lasts, and what the new rate will be. People complain to CUB that the low price they signed up for disappeared after a few months and their bill skyrocketed.
4) Ask if the plan charges monthly fees. CUB has seen monthly fees as high as $9 a month.
5) Ask if the company charges an exit fee if you want to leave a plan before the contract is up.
Get these helpful guides emailed to you: